9.15.2009

Welcome to the 'Burgh

There used to be this saying on a screen at the Pittsburgh airport. It went a little something like this:
A person once said you can't have all good things in one place. That person must never have been to Pittsburgh.
You could say that it's hard for me to fully grasp this saying considering I have spent my entire life in Pittsburgh's suburbs, but now live in Shadyside. But don't you think that itself says something about this city? And how there are plenty of reasons why I would love to graduate from Pitt in the spring of 2010 and continue living in America's Most Livable City.

There's something special about Pittsburgh and I, along with my roommate, hope to share our experiences about what's great in this city. We'll be traveling down Walnut Street in Shadyside, up Murray Avenue in Squirrel Hill and hopping between Fifth and Forbes Avenue in Oakland. We'll be all over Pittsburgh's East End and the city itself telling not only our stories, but the stories we hear from others, to show why we enjoy living here.

It can be difficult for a 20-something year old, about to graduate and not know what he wants to do with his life. I'm an English Writing major, with a concentration in journalism, and would like to pursue a career in that field after graduation. I believe my job as sports at editor at the University of Pittsburgh's student newspaper, The Pitt News, has prepared for life after college. As the saying goes, it's not about what you know but who you know.

It's a changing world out there. And as somebody in the field of journalism, I know first hand. I'm excited to see how things like Facebook, Blogger, Twitter and every other form of social networking affect the newspaper industry. It can be scary at times, but I'm ready for it.

And that's what I hope this blog can accomplish. To connect people from all over. Start small and then expand. To create a network of people who can all come together at one place.

4 comments:

  1. I like the boundaries set in place for this blog already. I love Pittsburgh. I was born in Italy and moved here when I was 10 and I've loved this city since, but I haven't explored it as much as I would like. I'm going to use you guys to my advantage in that regard, I hope.

    Don't let me down! Show me stuff you think everyone should get in on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're going to do our best. We're hoping to keep this blog going well after the class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michel,

    If you have any East End hotspots in mind and you want some more info, let us know and we'll get the inside scoop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cool-- i know about zero from that area... but Friday nights are my date nights with my wife, so if you can suggest any decent restaurants that aren't too expensive, i'd appreciate it

    Also, I want to find more BYOB restaurants... any in the area?

    ReplyDelete