10.11.2009

Qdoba bar: Oakland's gem

You might not believe it, but the best bar in Oakland isn't that well known at all.

Qdoba bar, which is just above the restaurant on the first floor, is now one of my go-to bars when I'm looking for a night out. And their happy hour is one of the best out there. It's not too big (nothing like Hemmingway's or Peters Pub) but it's not a small dive bar. They have two decent sized TVs and they keep the bar clean. You can even get a burrito if you're in the mood.

The last two times I've been there have been two of my best bar experiences. Both times have started out with intentions of just going for happy hour, but have turned into 5 or 6 hour stays and having a good time with friends and the bartenders, who are all very friendly.

The music is great, mainly because you can put whatever you want on if you talk to the bartenders. And they're really great about putting a game - like the Penguins game last Thursday - if you're looking for something specific to watch. They even put on Always Sunny in Philadelphia after the Pens game. How's that for a bar experience?

As for crowd size, it never really gets too crazy. I have yet to go there during a Saturday night, but Thursday and Friday nights aren't bad. In fact, there was one Friday night when it was just me and two of my friends at the bar for an hour or so. That's something I like, especially when you think about happy hour/half price at Mad Mex or Hemmingway's and how crowded it gets there.

Happy hour specials are good. I wish I had the list on me, but they have a lot of good mixed drink specials like $1.50 well drinks and $3.50 long island iced teas — and they put a good amount of alcohol in those drinks. They also have a daily special after happy hour, which is usually just one of the happy hour drink specials extended all night.

So if you're in Oakland - or if you're just thinking about going out - and looking to change up your bar experience, think about stopping by Qdoba bar.

You won't be disappointed.

1 comment:

  1. I've always thought of Qdoba as a fast-food mexican joint. Didn't even know they served alcohol. Not a bar guy myself, but you almost made me want to go check it out the way you described it.

    Nice personal touches-- mentioning the games and the bartender friendliness.

    This was a really decent post. I'd like to read more like this. Where one of you can actually give a personal account of the experience of a place/joint. That's what people looking for a special place to hang out are looking for... Someone whose opinion they trust to tell them what they think.

    The function of this blog is coming along really well.

    ReplyDelete