10.29.2009

Mayor Luke: More bike racks for business

I've really enjoyed reading and following BikePGH over the past couple months. A lot of great stuff comes out of their website and blog - and they do a lot for the cyclists in this city.


And apparently Mayor Luke is also helping out. Maybe it's because he enjoys biking around Pittsburgh, or maybe because he's just looking for votes. Say what you want about the way Luke is running this city, and he doesn't have my vote this upcoming election, but he has been doing a lot for the biking community.

Today, BikePGH posted that the mayor is going to continue his biker-friendly ways. It started with a new bike rack in front of Enrico Biscotti Co in the Strip District and 199 more will be placed in front of businesses throughout Pittsburgh.

You can thank BikePGH, with the help of donations from the Richard King Mellon Foundation and William Benter Foundation, for 100 racks. The city matched and will also donate 100 racks.

Scott Bricker, executive director at BikePGH, said
"Bike racks are one of the most important indicators of a bike-friendly city. They do more than provide support and security to bicycles; they act as a visual cue that bicycles are a welcome mode of transportation in our city."
If you're happy with what BikePGH is doing, you should head over to their membership page and become a member. Right now, through October 31, every membership donation will be matched by BikePGH. That means even more bike racks, bike lanes and biking fun.

2 comments:

  1. Luke is doing NOTHING for the city - nothing good anyhow, some folks in his administration are doing good things but it has little to nothing to do with him - he's a puppet for Zober and Verbanac and I'm not saying that because I'm voting for Acklin, (I'm actually voting for Dok).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was at the debate yesterday to take photos of the three candidates running. I wasn't impressed with any of the three and I actually live in the city now so I could vote if I wanted. Luke was probably the most collected. I wanted to root for Dok, quite honestly, but after watching give his opening statement and handle questions, he looked like a cartoon puppet. He was way too energized and forced.

    Acklin seemed pretty confident, but he didn't really say anything that impressed me either. Acklin and Dok were both too worried about attacking Luke than revealing what they would differently. They kept saying Luke needs to be in the neighborhoods more. Yesterday, the same day of the debate, I was at the Strip District with my wife and I bumped into a crew of people. And there was Luke in front of Enrico Biscotti and the executive direcotor of Bike PGH installing the first of many more bike racks.

    I'm not saying I'm a Ravenstahl fan, or that I would vote for him, but the idea that Luke isn't out there is a bit forced.

    ReplyDelete