11.24.2009

About those bakeries...best cupcake?

Well, I guess I didn't do enough stumbling on Pittsburgh because I missed a poll for the best cupcake in Pittsburgh that is going on right now.

The folks over at another Pittsburgh blog, Boring Pittsburgh, are conducting the poll. And the two bakeries battling it out are the two I talked about in our last post: CoCo's in Shadyside and Dozen in Squirrel Hill. Head over there and cast your vote. Maybe we should get into the polling business over here.

That aside, the way I found about this poll was pretty interesting. Getting an RSS feed from IHeartPGH, I was directed to Pop City Media, which eventually gave me the link to the all-important cupcake poll. Crazy how connected blogs are and how information gets passed around.

1 comment:

  1. Dozen is COMPLETELY overrated. Yeah, their cupcakes are good and they have really innovative flavors (Pancakes & Syrup featuring a piece of bacon? Bacon on a cupcake?! Oh god yes please all the time), but all too often consider its fame, the batter is overcooked and the frosting is laden with confectioner's sugar to the point where you can crunch on the sugar crystals. I'm probably being overly critical since I doubt the value of everything most people love, but I've had better cupcakes in Pittsburgh.

    Allegro Bakery - it's just down the street from the Dozen Cupcakes in Squirrel Hill, on Murray and Hobart. Try their carrot cake cupcake and bring an extra pair of briefs because you're going to jizz everywhere. And while you're there, buy some bread because they are truly an artisan bakery. I haven't seen many bread bakeries around Pittsburgh since giant supermarket chains have pretty much undermined the entire enterprise of specialized food shops, but Allegro is a real find.

    Also, IHeartPGH gets a big thumbs up. I found that a few months ago, but I didn't follow it because they updated infrequently. Seems things have changed.

    ReplyDelete