11.18.2009

Szechuan Express: Good or bad?

During my sophomore year, I feel in love with Szechuan Express, located in Oakland on Oakland Avenue between Fifth and Forbes Avenue. I mean, feel in love. I would change up my order here and there, but it always came back to Chicken and Broccoli (#35). It was so good and I would get it at least once every two weeks.

It was great but then around the second semester last year, I stopped going there as often. Maybe once every two months. Actually, I hadn't been there since June or July this year until I went tonight. And when I decided that I'd go with #35, I was a little bit disappointed in what I got. I still got a lot of food for a really good price (just over $5) and got it pretty fast, but the quality just wasn't the same as I remember. I don't know what it was exactly.

Maybe it was the quality of chicken or broccoli or spices/sauces they're using, but I wasn't too pleased. Granted, I still at it and it kept me full, but I'm wondering if anybody else thinks the same way. Maybe it was just the fact that I really hadn't eaten that kind of food in a long time and when I decided to tonight, I realized I didn't really like.

So, does anybody else think the same way?

7 comments:

  1. I'm in love with Chinese food, and I usually only get chicken and broccoli because it's my favorite and it's actually one of the healthier choices you can get when it comes to Chinese food. Needless to say, I once got General Tsos from Szechaun Express and it really wasn't very good at all. I've stuck with the chicken and broccoli since. I really don't think it's the best Chinese food, I think Lulu's and New China Inn are the best I've had in the area. Nonetheless, I kind of think of it like McDonald's: it's cheap and fast and sometimes you just want crappy food.

    I'm really sorry, I'm passionate about my Chinese food :-p

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not big on Chinese food, I've become more of a sushi fan over the past year or so, but every once in a while I just want some fried rice, steamed broccoli and seasoned chicken.

    Lulu's is good but I can't remember the last time I was there. I hadn't heard of New China Inn, but I did a quick search and found it wasn't too far (right on Centre). What would you recommend, Lulu's or New China Inn?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Szechuan Express (or as my roommates and I call it, "The Szech") has definitely declined in quality over the past year or so. The prices, enormous portions and good-enough service haven't changed. The food is simply of worse quality.

    I've sinced shifted my allegiances to Sushi Boat. The portions are slightly smaller and you pay about $.25-.50 cents more per dish. But the quality is great for takeout.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know. I had the same experience as Jay. I use to eat the Mei fun chicken there regularly. I stopped and now it's almost inedible. But I'm not convinced that the quality declined. I blame it on maturing tastes and a less desperate palate once I moved off campus.

    The same exact thing happened with Sunny Delight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Szechuan Style Beef. End of story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I usually order from New China Inn when I want takeout. Lulu's is more about the atmosphere for me.

    I'd have to say that maybe New China Inn has more traditional tasting Chinese food, basically what I grew up eating. The egg rolls in particular are bangin.

    Lulu's has a lot more unique dishes, and I find the more that I go there, the more I want to try different things. However, the General Tsos chicken at Lulu's is some of the best I've ever had, and always a safe bet at Lulus.

    ReplyDelete
  7. just discovered Sushi Boat's Chicken Pad Thai Noodle Bowl.

    Epic.

    ReplyDelete