11.23.2009

Local bake shops

So I was stumbling around last night for things about Pittsburgh when I came across this video:



It got me thinking about local bakeries in Pittsburgh. I'm a huge fan of Dozen cupcakes. It's so good and, considering its location in Squirrel Hill, it's a nice place to walk to and then explore the rest of the neighborhood. There are two other Dozen locations in Downtown and Lawrenceville.

The thing that is cool about Dozen is that they don't have the same selection every day. They change it up on both a daily and seasonal basis. I mean, they always have the vanilla and chocolate cupcakes, but their specialty cupcakes change. Right now, they have "28 unique flavors and still creating more." Solid. They also make other sweets like cinnamon buns.

I know there are a lot of locally owned and operated bake shops in Pittsburgh, but I'm still looking. There's CoCo's on Ellsworth in Shadyside. There's also Oakmont Bakery along the Allegheny River in Oakmont.

Does anybody have any others out there worth checking out?

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, Jay, there are a bunch of places to get cupcakes, especially in Shadyside. You mentioned CoCo's on Ellsworth who occasionally gives my employer (the Elbow Room) free cupcakes. Saturday night we got some cupcakes with a chocolate covered strawberry on top with strawberry innards that was just divine. But there is also Vanilla Pastry Studio in East Liberty, Prantl's on Walnut, and even Whole Foods is known to carry some delectables.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boss always raves about Dozen's cupcakes. She brought them in one day over the summer, but unfortunately this was right before I was going to the beach so I didn't want to eat one. Nonetheless, I think I'm going to stop at CoCo's today to get my roommie some birthday cupcakes so I'll let you know what we think of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, this is a little further away, but I have a friend who works at the Oakmont bakery and everyone from my hometown always raves about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Dozen in Lower Lawrenceville is (for better or for worse) one of the businesses remarketing the neighborhood as a more upscale shopping district. Without much community involvement, business owners on Butler street have renamed the area LoLa (for lower Lawrence.) They even have a Lola website: http://www.lowerlawrenceville.com/

    Some residents are screaming "gentrification." I don't live there and haven't made up my mind yet. I am going to miss Pittsburgh's crusty charm if this Boutique culture keeps spreading.

    ReplyDelete